Nursing Student Class Projects (Formerly MSN)

Academic Term

Summer 2020

Document Type


Course Number

NURS 6810

Course Name

Advanced Pathophysiology for APN

Professor’s Name

Dr. Chovan


diabetes mellitus, pathophysiology, insulin resistance, insulin deficiency, pancreas

Subject Categories

Medicine and Health Sciences | Nursing


There are two types of diabetes mellitus, Type 1 which involves a decrease in insulin production and Type 2 which is related to an impaired sensitivity to insulin due to peripheral insulin resistance (Chesworth, 2019). Type 1 diabetes is a dysfunction of the pancreas that an individual is usually born with and affects about 10 percent of the diabetic population. Type 2 diabetes is a product of obesity and age that affect the body’s sensitivity to insulin, not a problem with its production, and affects the remaining 90 percent of the diabetic population (Chesworth, 2019). The hyperglycemia that comes with the decreased production of insulin or sensitivity to it can lead to a whole assortment of complications if not taken care of. Living in a constant state of hyperglycemia (if the individual is not controlling their diabetes) is incredibly hard on the body’s cardiovascular and nervous systems especially. The only treatment for a person with type 1 diabetes is to replace the insulin the body’s Beta cells cannot produce: using an insulin pump or injections of insulin (Chesworth, 2019). There are many pharmaceutical agents that are options for people with type 2 diabetes. These medications can increase insulin secretion, stimulate insulin action, reduce hepatic and endogenous glucose production, and even other methods (Skyler, et al, 2017). Type 2 diabetes can also be controlled with diet, exercise, and weight loss if the root cause of the disease is obesity and a sedentary lifestyle (Chesworth, 2019). Diabetes is killing the people of the world in many different ways and while some people cannot prevent this disease (type 1 diabetics and age related type 2 diabetics) there are many people in this world that can just by changing their lifestyle.

Included in

Nursing Commons



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.