1971 Otterbein vs Wittenberg Football Film (1 of 2)

Title

1971 Otterbein vs Wittenberg Football Film (1 of 2)

Files

Download Game Program (11.4 MB)

Download Columbus Evening Dispatch (70 KB)

Download Columbus Evening Dispatch (89 KB)

Download Columbus Sunday Dispatch (110 KB)

Download Columbus Evening Dispatch (246 KB)

Download Columbus Evening Dispatch (271 KB)

Loading...

Media is loading
 

Description

Otterbein is wearing dark uniforms and white helmets; Wittenberg is wearing all white uniforms. Rosters are available in the game program. For more game details see the Columbus Dispatch articles linked above.

Otterbein University is a private university in Westerville, Ohio. The university was founded in 1847 by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ and named for United Brethren founder the Rev. Philip William Otterbein. After the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church, in 1968, Otterbein has been associated with the United Methodist Church. Colors: Tan and Cardinal. Mascot: Cardinals

Wittenberg University is a private liberal arts university in Springfield, Ohio. Wittenberg College (it became Wittenberg University in 1957) was founded in 1845 by a group of ministers in the English Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, which had previously separated from the recently established German-speaking Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and Other States. A German American pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Rev. Ezra Keller was the principal founder and first president of the college. Its initial focus was to train clergy with the Hamma School of Divinity as its theological department. One of its main missions was to "Americanize" Lutherans by teaching courses in the English language instead of German, unlike the nearby Capital University in Columbus, Ohio. Springfield, Ohio, was selected for its location on the National Road, running from the eastern cities of Baltimore and Cumberland, Maryland, to the west in the Illinois Country, eventually to the territorial capital of Vandalia, near the Mississippi River. In 1874, women were admitted to the college, and, the following year, blacks were admitted. The college was named for the historic University of Wittenberg in Wittenberg, Germany, the town in which Martin Luther famously posted his Ninety-five Theses on the church door on October 31, 1517. In 1993 the university and the German city entered into an official partnership.

Colors: Red and White. Mascot: Tigers. (The school’s early moniker were the Fighting Lutherans, followed by the Crimson and Cream [the early school colors]. In 1921 the teams were known as “Tigers of the West,” shortened to Tigers in the late 1940s. The mascot is called “Ezry the Tiger” after the first name of the school’s founder.)

Game Date

10-2-1971

Game Score

7-21

Coaches

Otterbein – Robert “Moe” Agler (March 13, 1924 – September 16, 2005, Otterbein ‘48) A 1941 graduate of Dublin (Ohio)High School Agler enrolled in Otterbein College where he lettered in football, basketball, baseball and track. After serving in the Navy during World War II, and participating in the D-Day invasion, Agler returned to Otterbein in 1946

where he was a member of, arguably, the best team in school history. He was instrumental in Otterbein’s most memorable game, a 13-7 loss to the University of West Virginia with the Cardinals threatening to score as time expired. After graduating in 1948 he played professionally for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL) and the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). Returning to central Ohio in 1950 Agler was hired as head football coach at his alma mater, Dublin High School, where he won the Franklin County Championship. He moved to Johnstown High School in 1952 before returning to Otterbein the next year as an assistant to Harry Ewing. In 1955 Agler replaced Ewing as head coach serving two stints, from 1955 to 1965 and 1970 to 1974, compiling a total record of 74–63–5. He was also the head basketball coach at Otterbein from 1955 to 1958, tallying a mark of 13–39, and served as Athletic Director (1955-1975). Following his retirement, he was instrumental in the construction of the new Memorial Stadium.

Wittenberg – Frank Davis “Dave” Maurer (March 18, 1932, Duquesne, PA – July 30, 2011, Springfield, OH; Denison ’54, Ohio State MA ’55) Born in Duquesne, Pennsylvania, Maurer continued his education at Denison University where he played quarterback for the Big Red. After graduation in 1954 he earned his master’s degree at The Ohio State University in 1955. That same year he joined the staff of first year head coach, and future Collegiate Football Hall of Fame honoree, Bill Edwards. He was an assistant coach under Edwards for 14-years, before taking over the reins as head coach in 1969 until 1983. During his tenure his overall record was 129-23-3 (.843), with an OAC record of 71-4 (.947). Under Maurer the Tigers were Division III National Champions — 1973, 1975; Division III National Runner Ups — 1978, 1978; and Ohio Athletic Conference Champions — 1969, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1981. Individually Mauer earned AFCA/Kodak Division III National Coach of the Year — 1973, 1975; AFCA/Kodak Division III District Coach of the Year — 1969, 1970, 1973, 1975; Ohio Athletic Conference Coach of the Year — 1969, 1973, 1976, 1978, 1979; and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1991. In addition to football, he also coached swimming, golf, track and served as athletics director. He retired from the university in 1994.

Game Location

Otterbein's Memorial Stadium

Film Time

10:46

1971 Otterbein vs Wittenberg Football Film (1 of 2)

Share

COinS