In 1880 the first number of the Otterbein Record, with Rev. J. S. Mills (now a bishop), as managing editor, with students occupying all other positions, was issued. There is evidence that the original intention was to have members from all the college societies represented, but it became, in time, the distinctive project of the Philophronean Literary Society. Prof. J. E. Guitner succeeded Rev. J. S. Mills as managing editor, who in turn was succeeded by J. P. Sinclair, a student, who served until the suspension of the journal in 1885. It is an excellent college journal, well-edited, and it faithfully and impartially represented the interests and reflected the life of the university.